
Video #1 Including students with physical disabilities:
1. At first I was honestly surprised that the elementary teacher Lisa Kelleher expected to always have a Special Ed teacher with her, but as I saw lateron, there will not always be an Special Ed teacher available who can help you with teaching the student with special needs. How than would she be able to collabroate? That's why I really like it when she explained how we have to take the time to find out more about the child, the tools he/she needs, and the devices included for him/her to be able to perform the assigned tasks, or even simply just to get around. There is so much more going on behind the scene than we even know. Yet, I loved when other students grouped around the table where the student with special needs and MaryAnne were sitting, to see them work and smile together was really, really need to watch.
2. The special ed teacher Danielle Doucett plays a very big role in the students life. As well as in MaryAnne's. She provides not only assistance with the students daily classroom curriculum, with writing and performing adequately in class, but also with her social life. This goes from helping her to walk, till up to show and model how to write.
3. That is a really good question, never even thought about it. But there definitely needs something to be done and there are many options available. From talking to a special ed teacher till special advanced technology classes are many options open nowadays.
4. This is actually a little game I did with my small group I am leading in church: in the beginning, I sometimes bring different colored candy; usually M&M's. Each color stands for a subject/area: yellow is for school, red for friends, green for family, blue for fun, ... every girl/student has to pick a m&m and share with the group what happened during the last week in that specific area. This leaves the students not only the ownership about what to share or not to in class, but also to interact and learn more about each other. Just an idea! :o)
5. I think our students with special needs like ADHD definitely need a set schedule. They need the steady and security in their life's, especially in the classroom where things happen which we don't expect. Also every child differs, don't we all wanna be aware about what is going to happen next?! Letting the student process this through the "MaryAnne's Schedule" in words and illustration is definitely a great idea I will have to remember!
Video #2 Assistive technology in the inclusive classroom:
1. I used to help my mom at a school for specific needs children back in Germany, she wasn't a teacher there but we used to go there just for interactions or for special occasions. In doing so, it helped me to understand that they are not different people, but students like me and you - just more challenged. Helpful would be maybe a Learn&Serve with an Special Ed teacher, to talk and learn about the challenges these students are really facing, and especially, to feel comfortable with the technology and challenges students bring with them.
2. Technologys like Smart Boards or an Elmo are definately super helpful for our teachings. These are technologies I would love to see in my classroom, but don't expect - especially as an ESL teacher. Yet, I love to see and learn about all these new books, pc programs, games, and audi devices coming out for the child to have more opportunities to learn and process information - anything that the student can access and process knowledge.
3. I think Sara does a very good job with Jamie, she understands, supports, and helps her to learn. Seeing her interacts makes it seem so normal, so easy. But there is so much more going on. Sara identifies the language Jamie is using and therefore communicates with here. Wow this is really cool to watch!
4. I is need to see how many possibilities and technology we have available nowadays for our children with special needs. But it makes me wonder also, how it has been accomplished in the past without these amazing supporting technology devices.
5. Yes. I remember when I first came to the states and everybody was talking to me very slowly, which made me feel kinda stupid. As a future teacher, I want to support and help my children, and not wanna make them feel stupid by talking slow to them - but on the other hand, I also want to ensure that the student with special needs can follow as well. I guess this is a question, which only experiences can tell :o)
No comments:
Post a Comment