
Before I watched this video, I thought that parents are hard to deal with. They come in and simply complain if I don't have the perfect strategy. But the more I thought about how I would feel as a parents, it started to understand more where parents at. I think if I as a teacher would stay in contact with them as much as possible, they would buck me less :) Which means, I would call them in the beginning of the year to let them know, that I am their childs's English teacher and that they should feel free to contact me anytime if they have any concerns or questions. This gives the parents the feeling that their kids is in the hands of a carrying teacher, which will make them feel more comfortable!
After watching the video about a Parent-Teacher Conference I feel more comfortable about meeting with parents, because I now know approximately what to expect and how to handle it:
As a teacher, I should ask the child what his/her concerns are. Then when meeting with a parent, I could bring in their journal as well as their writing examples; which I will show to the parents to show their childs process. I would also do writing assessments 3 times a year, as well as let my students publish their own little book. Parents love to see & know what their children are doing in school, because they are concerned about if their children are doing their best in school. Therefore I should emphasize their child's process - where he/she started and is now. But most of all, I want to establish a relationship with the parent, to get to know my studnets better. I should value all various kinds of skills to get positive results, as well as mention the students friends & how they think and feel. I also should ask the parents about their opinion - it's a two way street to get back information about parents life; a back & forward conversation.
Yet, no matte how much effort I put in my students, there will always be parents who think they know better; think they could do a better job, or exactly know every little detail about what I am doing wrong. Nevertheless, I would sit down with them, tell them to relax and explain what or why I did or did not do a specific action. Parents are parents, they simply want the best for their child - don't we want this?
Also helpful: Widgets & Twitter help our parents to understand what we are doing in class - feel more comfortable because they know what their kid is doing.
Kirk, S., Gallagher, J, Coleman, M., & Anastasiow, N. (2009). Educating Exceptional Children (12th ed.). Kentucky: Cengage Learning. Retrieved October 22, 2009, from http://college.cengage.com/education /kirk/educating/12e/resources/video_cases.html
No comments:
Post a Comment