
(Friday, Nov 20th, 4 hrs) This week in my field placement we did 'running records'. Mrs. Kruse chose a book that the child hasn't read before and introduced it by reading the title, examining the picture on the cover, and talking about the story. The student did a picture walk, looking through the book and talking about what's happening on each page, using the illustrations as a guide. Next, the student read the book aloud as Mrs. Kruse takes a running record, checks the words the student read correctly and noting those read incorrectly. Then the student retold the story and the teacher assessed his or her understanding, prompted with questions when it was necessary. Afterwards, Mrs. Kruse scored the running record to determine the child's instructional reading level.I also learned today that as a future teacher, I need to be aware of the emotional needs; especially for my students with special needs. Especially after a seizure, it is criticall in letting the student/child know that he or she is physically and emotionally safe. Once my students will awake from the seizure, I have to provide immediate comfort and security to ensure that the child has time to rest and recover, both physically as emotionally. I also need to be aware of that the child may feel embarrassed and will need reassurance that things are back to normal.
HOORAY! running records. This is good practice.
ReplyDeleteWell done - can you make a connection to our text?
thank you! sure sure :)
ReplyDelete